Hong Kong protest march descends into violence

October 08 [Tue], 2019, 15:59
Hong Kong protest march descends into violence

Police used water cannon, tear gas and truncheons, reportedly removing masks from demonstrators they arrested, and a number of people were injured.To get more chinese daily news, you can visit shine news official website.
Tens of thousands of protesters had turned out in the rain, spurred to act by a ban on wearing masks at rallies.
The controversial ban was upheld by the High Court on Sunday.It was introduced by chief executive Carrie Lam who invoked powers dating back to colonial rule by the British.
Sunday's protests were fuelled by both the mask ban and the use by police of live bullets against protesters, which left two people injured this week.
A wave of rioting in Friday led city metro services to shut down but they had partially resumed on Sunday.The protesters' aim was to make clear their utter contempt for the emergency law banning face masks and almost all covered their faces, the BBC's Robin Brant reports from Hong Kong.
Police watched as protesters moved peacefully, chanting "Hong Kong resist" as they walked through the heart of the city, but after a few hours officers moved to end the disruption.Tear gas canisters were fired on the crowd from police on walkway bridges above. Video shows small groups being targeted by charging officers on the ground.
Many shops were again closing early on Sunday evening in anticipation of more trouble, our correspondent says.Many more people turned out for the new marches than on Saturday, when a small march was held in the aftermath of Friday's rioting.
"I'm not sure how many more chances we'll get to fight for freedom," said Hazel Chan, 18, who was wearing a surgical face mask when she spoke to the BBC near a road block on the city's Rodney Street.
"I don't think it'll have a big impact on the government's stance but I hope we gain international attention and show the world we won't get used to this evil law.Despite the pouring rain, the mood was defiant. Thousands of protesters joined the unauthorised march, wearing masks despite the emergency law, blocking and marching down roads, and chanting slogans such as "Hong Kong revolt" and "stand with Hong Kong" in Cantonese and English.
Despite the clear defiance of the law, there were hardly any police to be seen in the first few hours. Protesters set up a road block, dug up bricks, and tied banners condemning the government onto flyovers.
Then, seemingly out of nowhere, several tear gas canisters were fired. Tensions flared further as a convoy of dozens of police vans suddenly emerged - protesters shouted "the water cannon is coming" and ran down the streets. Within an hour or so, the roads were open again - and the protesters had seemingly melted away.
小文字 太字 斜体 下線 取り消し線 左寄せ 中央揃え 右寄せ テキストカラー 絵文字 プレビューON/OFF


「ヤプログ!利用規約 第9条 禁止事項」に該当するコメントは禁止します。